I got this recipe from a magazine at the doctor’s office. Wrote it on a paper towel. They’re a bit messy but that doesn’t affect the taste. They’re pretty rich. I recommend eating with a glass of milk.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Hedgehog Truffles
(‘hedgehog’ because the chocolate bits are supposed to make it look like a hedgehog)
2 1/2 c confectioners sugar
1 1/2 sticks butter
1/3 c heavy cream
1 1/2 c creamy peanut butter
1 t vanilla
8 oz bittersweet chocolate (grocery store was denuded of chocolate on today, Valentine’s Day, could only find semi-sweet chocolate chips)
1/2 c cocoa nibs (I’m not precisely sure what these are. I just banged the remaining chocolate chips with a rolling pin and used those)
1. Place confectioners sugar in large bowl, set aside.
2. Combine butter, cream, peanut butter and vanilla in saucepan. Stir over medium heat until butter and peanut butter are melted and just starting to boil.
3. Pour over sugar in bowl. Whisk until smooth.
4. Transfer to 8″ square baking dish and smooth surface. Place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the mixture, refrigerate until set, about 2 hours (I didn’t wait that long.)
5. Melt chocolate in bowl over simmering water, stir until smooth.
6. Roll the chilled peanut butter mixture into 1″ balls. Dip into melted chocolate. Take out with a fork. Place on tray lined with parchment paper (I used plastic wrap).
7. Sprinkle on nibs.
8. Refrigerate until set.
I don’t know if it was because I was using chocolate chips rather than a baking chocolate or if I was doing something else wrong, but the melted chocolate seemed too thick. I used up a lot on the balls and ran out of chocolate. And, they’re pretty messy and gloppy. But they still taste good.