This was an opportunity to recycle those leftover candle stubs I’d been keeping for a while, along with a clump of black wax that came from a bottle of champagne I’d been given for Christmas. As I had absolutely no proper candle making equipment other than 5 metres of unwaxed wick, I had to improvise. Melting the wax in the oven seemed like a good idea at the time, but it took quite a while to clean the waxy splatters up afterwards. There are probably still some lurking at the back of the oven.
Adding glitter was an experiment that didn’t quite work as it sank to the bottom because it was too heavy. However it did turn the wax a nice pink colour. I tried using the wick from a tea light to give a more dainty effect.
I found that paper cupcake cases were no good as the wax seeped through making them stick to the tin. Silicone cases were just the ticket and came away easily.
I’ve no idea how well they’ll burn or how long they’ll last, but they are certainly cute.